Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Saturday, December 07, 2019

My Athletes

South Korea Activities Conference (SKAC) is an organization including international schools based in southern South Korea. SKAC offers 3 sessions per year of athletic and academic competitions for elementary, middle and high school. The activity locations rotate between schools. The farthest school is a couple hours away so there are only 2 tournaments per session. Our school is the smallest of the 8 in the league, so we usually don't do that well. But the kids have fun and that's important. They are not super competitive so it's OK that this is my kids' first time to play and they are not competent at it yet.

I was pleasantly surprised when all three of my kids signed up to play a sport! Practices are immediately after school. The kids stay after school and just walk home when it's over. I absolutely love being this close to school!

My Lijee signed up for futsal. It's basically soccer with a slightly smaller field and a few other minor changes. The team only had practice 2 nights a week. Eli showed a lot of improvement from the beginning of the season to the end.
 Alex, one of Eli's best friends.
 The elementary team consists of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders, but our team only had 3rd and 4th grade boys.
back: Alex, Radin, Eli, Priange, Mrs. Strydom, Jeff, Sahil, MagNeil
front: Ram, Arnov, Matthew
 These guys were a hoot. I loved listening to them on the sidelines.
 The first tournament Lijee played goalie.
So this happened. It was the only restroom at the fields and I had to go.
The second tourney he played defense. He did a great job and really got in there.

Eli's first games were at Busan International Foreign School  (BIS) and the second at Daegu International School (DIS).
The Daiser also chose futsal. 
 She also played defense.
 The middle school girls team was pretty small. I am proud of Daisy for being the only 6th grader on our team.
Elise, Rosalyn, Daisy
Emily, Sophia, Maya (Ryleigh not pictured)
 Daisy's first tourney was at Handong International Foreign School (HIS) and second at DIS.
The Zekers signed up for cross country. I didn't know he was a runner, but he did great and showed a lot of improvement. His coach even told me how hard Zeke worked and how much he improved.

The first meet was at DIS. It was at a park right beside school. Apparently a movie was shot at this tiny beach area.
The runners took 2 laps around a little lake. I took lots of pictures. However, I was also face timing with Vivia. Instead of taking pictures of Zeke running, I was taking pictures of Vivia talking to me. Oops. Old people and technology, am I right?
 These are all the middle school participants.
Zeke didn't finish really high, but two of his teammates were walking during the race. He stopped and encouraged them to run again. I love his kind heart.
Zeke, Anirudhh, Ken, Keenan
The second meet was at BIS.
 There's my boy, way back there.
 This was at the beginning of the race.
 He finished! He came in 18th, finishing higher than last time and placing before many of his teammates.
I am super proud of my athletes!
[fall semester]

No comments: