Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Five Oh

So 50 happened. I'm not sure how. I still feel like a kid and often wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put me in charge of raising little people. But here I am, easing down the hill.

Daisy thought I should open Daddy's gift the night before because I might need it on my big day.
He got me a Sally O'Malley shirt from SNL. She's the skit that says, "I'm 50! I can kick. And stretch. And kick! I'm 50! Fifty year old."
The actual day was spent very low key with my 4 favorite people and 2 favorite dogs. I made plans to go to an Italian lunch and then walk the dogs to Elephant Rock. I had never been to the restaurant before, and as happens often here, I didn't find it on the first try. We were backing up from a little alley into the road, the dogs saw a little dog in the road and were both barking, kids were making noise and another car was coming at us. It was quite chaotic and Eli yelled out, "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" We did not. We made it to the restaurant which happened to be closed on Mondays, darn the luck. Eventually we made it to the Elephant Rock.
 My Daisy got me my favorite chocolates and some earrings.
 My boys got me some jewelry.
 We were going to make a cake, but I decided I like the frosting more than cake, so we just made chocolate frosting for my birthday cake.
 As I am tottering on the top of the hill, buckling up to start the slide down, I am reflecting on where I am in life. I am in a pretty good spot. I don't have accolades and honors to brag about; I'm not climbing up the career ladder because I don't even have a job. I do, however, have a purpose. 

John 3:16 tells us that 'God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him may not perish but have eternal life.' I have done that; I believe that Jesus died for my sins, and I know that has nothing to do with my goodness/not goodness. 'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast.' Ephesians 2:8-9. 

My purpose is to live a life that emits the love of Christ so that others will be drawn to Him as well. This task isn't always easy, and I fail more than I succeed, I'm afraid. That, my friends, is the beautiful part. Even when we fail, mess up, do stupid stuff, or not do stuff we should, we are covered by grace and not kicked to the curb. Here's hoping I will fulfill my purpose as I ride on down the hill these next 50 years.
[December 16]

No comments: