Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Friday, November 18, 2022

Nope. Just nope.

 When we were first back in our house in early August, I remember seeing a cute little green worm on the patio. We were constructing a table out there, and by the time we were finished I saw a handful of the precious tiny little things.
Over the course of a few weeks they began to multiply. Rapidly multiply. They were everywhere on our back porch. They began pooling at the corner of the patio. Suddenly they we weren't so cute. 
Chuey's water bowl was a pool of gross.
They soon began to weave webs in the trees all over the metroplex.
They were everywhere in our backyard and on the patio. They even began to come into the house. When I first saw them around the door I thought it was because they got in when I was letting Chuey in. I promptly swept them up and put them out. About 10 minutes later I noticed more on the floor. I thought maybe a few had stuck in the broom bristles, so I swept them up and put them out again. They appeared again. Y'all, they came into the house THROUGH THE CLOSED DOOR!

It was at this same time all of DFW was abuzz about them invading our yards. Turns out they are cankerworms, also called web worms. They only feed on hackberry trees, which we have right outside our patio. The moths lay their eggs, they hatch, eat the leaves and weave their webs. After about 6 weeks it was done. The experts say it is not harmful to the trees. They have actually started to grow a a few green leaves again. The weird thing is that we never saw any moths; the webs came and the worms just disappeared. ❓😲❓
[September 28]

No comments: