Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Sunday, April 24, 2022

The Most Disappointing Spring Break EVER

Our time in Korea is quickly coming to an end. We had great aspirations of lots of Asian travel whilst we were here, but, Covid. Things are slowly opening up, so I took a gamble and decided on Bali for spring break! We just needed to get negative Covid tests to get us into the country and we had it made! Even if we came up positive once we landed, we could quarantine at our hotel, which was a 2-bedroom condo as big as our apartment with a private pool. So how bad could it be to quarantine there, in Bali?

We wanted to take our test on Thursday to fly Saturday, just on the off chance that one of us got a positive result and we had to cancel. That would give us time on the hotel for free cancelation and maybe the airfare. BUT...we had a 5:00pm flight and the only day of the week that the hospital left before 5:00 was Thursday. It would be more than 2 x (24 hour) periods, which Indonesia was very strict about. We couldn't take the test Friday because printed results (which are required to fly) would not be out in time for us to drive to the airport. No problem, you can get one at the airport on Saturday a few hours before your flight. We just had to leave for the airport at 6am to give us time.

 Friday, April 1st was the beginning of spring break '22. Daisy and I decided to pull an April Fool's joke on the boys. She and I started texting on the family text while I was walking Chuey. She said she didn't feel good, I suggested she take a home Covid test,  and then she posted a photoshopped pic of a positive test. When Zeke finally got out of bed and read the text thread, he went in to comfort his sister.💞
 Haha. April Fool's...

Turns out the joke was on us. At midnight on Friday, I finally had my suitcase ready to walk out of the door  to head for the airport in the morning. As I went to bed, Abe woke up and told me he had a terrible headache and might have a fever.  He was burning up to the touch. 😳

I couldn't sleep well because I was worried our trip was going to be canceled. At 4:30 I woke up to find Abe in the livingroom. He couldn't sleep because he felt to poorly. He had taken a home test and there was the faintest line in the positive column. 😫
That's the story of how our Bali trip was canceled a mere two hours before we were to drive to the airport. 

I couldn't even bear to look at my open suitcase for a couple days.
I tried to salvage the kids' spring break. It was pathetic. Even the cherry blossoms, as beautiful as they are, didn't ease the wound.
Poor Zekers. His birthday was on Monday. I will give more details about that in a separate post. But we went to the beach on Monday for his birthday.
Monday night Eli started feeling poorly. I had driven Abe to the health department to get tested on Saturday morning. Tuesday morning I drove Eli. He and Abe were quarantined in the bedroom.
Tuesday Daisy and I took Chuey out for some 유채 canola pictures.

That evening I started feeling off. I woke up with a headache and bodyache. So Wednesday I drove myself to the health department to get tested.

Poor Zeke and Daisy. They spent the first half of their spring break being bored, and the last half stuck in their bedrooms, away from us infected people. They did get to go with friends to the new Lotte World Amusement Park one day. Thank you to Matthew for taking them.
front to back: Sarah, Emily, Aaron, Mathew, Daisy and Zeke
That's the end to the most disappointing spring break EVER.
[April 1-10]

No comments: