Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Giving Thanks

 “Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!” 1 Chronicles‬ ‭16:34‬

We enjoyed a very small and intimate Thanksgiving this year, because, Covid. On the actual day I prepared food all day long while everyone was at school and work. Our oven is so tiny it holds one dish at a time, so I had to be strategic. Turkeys are not easy to come by, so I cooked a whole chicken instead. I added foods that are traditional, like stuffing and mashed potatoes. Then I threw in Zeke's favorite corn. My bread baking skills are limited so I made biscuits. Pumpkin in a can is impossible to get here, so I made brownies for dessert. As we sat to eat I realized I had created a total carb fest. But it was yummy! In my defense I did steam a few veg, too.

The Pops is carving the chicken.

We played a fun little dice game. It was super sweet hearing us all share compliments and reminiscing over old memories. Daisy’s friend was with us and she even played the game. Somehow she got to comment on Daisy every time but once. She complimented Zeke’s green hair.

The US military base here has a thanksgiving meal for purchase. Our church usually hosts a huge meal prepared by them. Of course it couldn't be done this year, because, Covid. One of our Bible study friends has access to the base, so on Sunday he picked up food for us. We needed to keep our gatherings small due to Covid, so our bible study divided and conquered with just a family or two at each house. We invited our sweet friends the Danish family. They are a barrel full of laughs. Daisy and Astrid (the girl who was over on Thursday) are great friends, and Eli and Julius are in class together. 

Daisy and I went outside and collected a few fall items to decorate the tables.

The Gludsteds have never had an American Thanksgiving meal. Once they arrived I showed them a video describing the first Thanksgiving story with the pilgrims and Squanto so they had some background.  Then the feast began! The good thing was that I did not prepare the food so if they didn’t like it they did not have to feel bad. Plus catering took of nearly all the pressure on me!
During dinner we played a Skittles game similar to the dice game to share things we are grateful for.
Then the teacher in me came out. I made them participate in a rite of passage that every American child has done: handprint turkeys!
Our turkeys and us are giving thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
[November 26]

No comments: