Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Friday, December 10, 2021

Too Many Tamales!

First things first.

Lulu makes the best tamales. Every year she has some girls over to make them. It's no small feat getting all the ingredients over here. This is the first year I joined them. I had no idea what I was getting into! To start the day we cut apart the red and green peppers and de-seeded them before we fried them. 
The onions and green peppers were made into a dish called rajas.
All of these large pots should have given me an idea as to how many tamales we were going to make.
When it came time for lightly fry the red peppers, we were maced! The fumes quickly filled the house and we all started coughing and getting watery eyes. I believe 'pepper spray' actually comes from peppers.
This is a lot of masa.
Alyxis had an important job of mix master.
Time for another break!
After several hours we stopped for the day. That's right, I said stopped for the day. We got back to it the following morning.
Day one was prep. Day two we started rolling the tamales.
We took a moment to stay hydrated.
Back at it! We had people mixing the masa,
people rolling the tamales,
 people steaming the tamales,
 people mixing the drinks. It was a professional assembly line.
We did take time out for lunch. It was a traditional Mexican meal prepared by Lulu and oh, so yummy.
Back to it, again.
After a long two days, we were finished. We had red chicken, green chicken, red pork, green pork, beans with rajas, beans with cheese, beans with rajas and cheese.
Alyxis, Theresa, Lulu, Su, Trish, Lotte, Carolyn, Kate, Shelley, Mb
Finally we all walked around the table and grabbed even amount of each kind.
We all walked out with bags and bags of tamales.
I counted my tamales, multiplied by the ten workers we had, and added in the bags we gave away. We made approximately 660 tamales! When I happily accepted the invitation to join in the making, I had no idea I was agreeing to a day of hard labor! It was hard work made fun with some great ladies. The tamales I brought home were a delicious bonus!
[November 21]

No comments: