Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Chingu at the Sangni Lotus Pond

I miss our International Ladies standing date which has been cancelled since last fall, because, Covid. I was happy to join a small group of 친구  chingu (friends) for an outing to the 상니 Sangni Lotus Pond. Unfortunately, it was a little early for the lotus blooms, but fortunately the water lilies were out.
Sangni Lotus Pond was originally an agricultural reservoir, but was abandoned as such and later transformed into a lotus pond.
Such a pretty sky reflecting on the water.
These ladies are the sweetest!
Deok Soon, Mimi, Leana, Trish, Bongja, Kate

These are called red eye water lillies. They bloom around noon and close in the evening, repeating for 3 to 4 days.
This tree with pink blossoms by the stream grabbed our attention.
It is called a silk tree. I could easily tell it earned its name because the blossoms were so soft.
There were four workers in the pond, picking out weeds. Korea is really good about maintenance of their outdoor horticulture creations and displays.
The cute little pavilion is called Wondamrok.
Of course we brought our lunches and made a buffet to share.
One of the ladies made a sandwich for each of us. I was worried I would not like it and offend her if I didn't eat it. Luckily, I ate it all. I must admit, it was the most bizarre sandwich I have ever eaten. 'Everything but the kitchen sink' would describe it. Cucumbers were the only item I nonchalantly picked off. Then beneath the cucumber was lettuce and tomato. Pretty normal, right? After that I thought I saw a thick piece of cheese poking out, but just at that time she said she added potatoes. On top of the potato was a fried egg. There was some type of greenery next, like arugula or something. She had given us some balsamic vinegar to shake on, and I thought that was what was red on the bread at the bottom. But alas, she told us that she added strawberry jam. I think I might even be forgetting an ingredient or two. Interesting combination, but I ate it!
After our lunch date, the kids and I joined some friends for the afternoon at Namildae Beach. This is the beach that is about 25 minutes away. It's not crystal clear water, but it is a beach.
Zeke and the older kids played a game.
Eli and Daisy are out there in the water somewhere. It was a good summer day.
[July 14]

No comments: