Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Saturday, June 19, 2021

You Win Some You Lose Some

12:00 - free to leave the house from quarantine!
1:00 - volunteering at school

I was glad that House Games started at 1:00 so I was able to go help. In years past, House Games included the whole school, K through 12th grades. It was a sweet time for all the grades to work together with their team. Last year and this year have been divided between elementary and upper grades, because, Covid. The elementary games were the day before and I was bummed that I didn't get to help with Eli's, but I was glad to be able to watch Zeke and Daisy.

Last year Dokkaebbi won the House Games trophy for the whole year for the first time! It was exciting, and probably no accident that it was also the first year the Daniels were part of the team. 😉 You win some and you lose some; Dokkaebbi won last year and they came in dead last this year. They still had fun, though.
They split up into teams of four or so for several of the activities. I was manning my own station, but it didn't take as long as some of the other games, so I got to sneak a peak to see what my kiddos were up to.
I even found Eli at recess.
After several small group games, the teams came together for a dodgeball-type game.

After the games were over it was awards time. The school has transitioned to an IB School (International Baccalaureate School, K-12). There are several learner profile characteristics that are encouraged throughout the year. The teachers voted to see who consistently displayed those qualities. The first one was the Caring award. I was pleasantly surprised when Mr. Cates called my Daisy!
I was also pleasantly surprised to hear Zekers' name when he called the Inquirer award.
I was feeling very proud of my children. I always tell them that God gifted them with smart brains, but it is up to them to use it. It is also up to them to practice characteristics like caring for others and being an inquisitive learner.

Near the end it was time to announce the Sport award. It's commonly known that my kids do not excel in sports. Mr. Cates started by saying that he had a lot of admiration for this student. He went on to say a lot of other good words about how he always came in and tried his best, both physically on academically. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what he was saying; I was still thinking how the teacher said he admired this student. I was impressed that a teacher would say that and wondering who this awesome kid was. "And the recipient of the Sport award is...Zeke Daniels." 💖
I am very proud of the effort that my kids put into their learning.
Look how sweet this is: Daisy is resting her hand on Zeke.
I even got to sneak a peak in on my little boy before school was out.
Win or lose in house games, I sure do love my people.
[June 8]

No comments: