Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Friday, October 08, 2021

Cotton Candy Without the Calories - Hapcheon

 The fall flower rotation has its new lineup ready, and pink muhly grass is next. 
My friend described it as nature's cotton candy, and I like that name.
This park is actually designed to be a ballpark, but they have also planted ornamental flowers and grass to attract visitors, such as myself. There are also cosmos, daisies and primroses.
I thought that pink muhly grass was unique to South Korea. It turns out that large fields of this puffy pink grass have just recently been planted here. Do you know where this grass is native to?
The US. It is native to the United States, and it can grow in both Texas and Kansas. It is a hardy plant that can stand up to deer, drought, heat, humidity, poor soil and salt. Once established this plant is low to no maintenance. I'm going to be getting me some pink muhly when I return to Texas.
The varieties of muhly grasses were named after one of the first early-American scientists, a Lutheran minister and self-taught botanist, Gotthilf Henry Ernest Muhlenberg (1753-1815). He became interested in botany while hiding from British soldiers during the Revolutionary War.
These cosmos were unique to me because I haven't seen orange and yellow ones before. I have seen lots of white, white with pink, pink with white, pink, pink with dark pink, dark pink with pink, and dark pink. But not orange and yellow.

I have been chasing a lot of flowers since I have been here. It's fun to keep finding new things.
[September 28]

No comments: