Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Friday, March 19, 2021

Park Hopping - Samcheonpo

 Since it was my 'day off' (the only day during the week during hybrid school that I don't have anyone at home), Chuey and I decided to take a long walk around the parks in Samcheonpo.

The first park, Tongchang Park, was smaller than I realized. So we basically just walked through it and then on to bigger and better things. At the bottom we found the little popsicle sticks laying out, waiting for the squid haul of the day.
This is a picture of what they use the sticks for.
We walked down to the water's edge. Lots of boats in the harbor.
 
See the bamboo tree sticking up from the middle of the boat? They use these for flag poles because they sway in the wind but don't break.
This guy was sunning right in front of all these fish tanks.
A worker's boot drying out after her morning routine.
Photo op!
This brought us to the bottom of Nosan Park, where we went a couple weeks ago. This sculpture represents the species of fish that are common to this area, including red snapper and rockfish.
This young girl was erected to highlight the symbolism of Samcheonpo Port. There was a song written in the 1960s about a girl saying goodbye to her love who was sailing the seas along this southern coast.
The camellias were already as abundant on the ground as in the trees.
Chuey was striking a pose with Admiral Si Sun-sin. {I have written about him a few times and have several photos of him.}
These are the first lilacs I have seen here. They smelled just as good as American lilacs.
This is Hoyeonjae House. It was originally opened as a private school in 1770 where locals gathered to study and compose poetry. The Japanese police forcefully it in 1906  because poets were writing poems of lament over Japanese rule. Regardless of the Japanese coercive closure, scholars continued to meet here and took part in the March First Independence Movement in 1919. {I wrote some background to this national holiday on my March 16 post.}
Chuey listening to poetry.
From here Chuey and I walked through town to Mangsan Park. It was when we first arrived that I realized that I was no longer holding my favorite stocking hat that I had taken off.😱
We retraced our path all the way back; we just saw more ships, but not my favorite hat.😭
[March 11]

No comments: