Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Make A Joyful Noise

I started working Kids Care at church the fall semester when we got back from England in 2007. It was a great way to get my 'kid fix' without actually having a real teaching job and it gave me just a bit of cash for my gift budget. It also allowed me to bring Zeke to work with me, and eventually Daisy and eventually Lijee. Plus I was able to share the gospel and Jesus' love and God's promises to little people. It was great.

The year Zekers went to preschool I had to drop him off and start Kids Care a little late. It worked, but I hated being late every week. The year Daisy went to preschool there was an opening for the music teacher. Although I didn't know much about teaching music, the hours were more flexible so I didn't have to feel bad about coming in a little later. My singing voice is terrible, but I know that kids don't know any better; they just like you to sing with them. I thought I'd give it a go, but not without warning my bosses and the teachers that I do not sing beautifully, but I make a joyful noise unto the Lord (Psalm 100).

That was the best decision ever! I was able to go to all the classes from young toddlers (18m and up) to the 4s class. We sang memory verses and bible songs that related to the bible story for the week. We worked on music skills, and then we just did silly songs that worked on our gross motor skills and made us laugh. 

It blessed me each week to share songs and stories of God's love for each and every one of us. It filled my spiritual bucket to hear those tiny little hearts reciting scripture and retelling bible stories. 

Selfishly, I liked it because those precious little people treated me like a rock star. Thanks to the teachers who made it seem like a treat that Mrs. Trish was there to sing with them, the kiddos loved music time. They were so excited to see me in the hallway during drop off or pick up and would whisper to their mommy, "That's Mrs. Trish." Mommies would share stories of their baby singing scripture, if I missed a week children would ask if my sick child was better, and even a dad asked me about my upcoming move to South Korea because his child had shared with him Mrs. Trish was moving.

It was hard to say goodbye this year. My wonderful bosses and teachers were sneaky and had the children make precious farewell signs. They even bound photos of the art work plus action photos of the kids and I making a joyful noise and put them in a book as a precious keepsake.
 The 4s classes each wrote something they liked about music class. Almost all of them wrote something different. So sweet.
Doing what you love with people you love and planting seeds for the kingdom of God = a happy heart.

No comments: