Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Gma E

Evelyn Mae Robertson
August 25, 1926 - August 4, 2016
Gma's 86th birthday
I have so many wonderful memories of Grandma E. When we were kids, visits from Grandma were always filled with fun and excitement. She made frequent visits to our house. 
There was lots of joy and giggles as we ran to greet her at her car. While she was visiting not a single box of jewelry nor a tube of lipstick would be left unopened. Us kids would pour over every detail of the Avon samples. She would take the pen out of her big updo and write down an order when anyone wanted something. 
Quite often Gma would bring us gifts when she visited. If it wasn't Avon it was some kind of candy or snack or discounted box of pizza rejects.  
Gma's 88th bday
Homecoming 1987
Granny and Grandma ~ Easter 2012
Grandma never forgot a birthday. She never missed a visit for our birthdays or special events when we were little. As we got older she would faithfully call on our special day. Every year. Sometimes she made our cake. But not just a simple 9x13 cake; they were  elaborate works of art. Barbie dolls coming out of a big frosting skirt always wowed us.  
Grandma and her drink of choice--a Pepsi without ice
Staying with Gma was one of the biggest and best treats of the summer! First of all, sometimes we got to bring our dog Fluffy with us, even though she would get car sick and vomit in the car every time. We always had dry sandwiches and warm Pepsi. Us kids didn't like the dry sandwich but it was a good trade off because we never got Pepsi at home. And quite often we would get to go to Wendy's which was awesome because we didn't get to eat fast food at home either. 
Sister, Gma, Steve, Kimmy, me,  & Lissa at the fair - 1976ish
There was always adventure at Grandma's-- fiddling with her quilting machine, going to the fair, walking the dogs, playing bingo, snacking our way through square dancing. I even snacked my way through square dancing all through college. But one of the sweetest memories of time spent with Grandma E is reading bedtime stories. 
at the lake
me, Grandma and Etrigan, or 'Sunshine' as she called her
Gma and Cody
Gma, Steve, Marsha and Tuck, 1971ish
Grandma loved animals. I can barely remember her monkey; what I remember about it was when it jumped on top of my head and freaked me out. When she raised dogs, Sister always got to help feed and water them. Steve and I were the dog catchers. We would run around and around until we caught the loose dogs. The only spanking I ever got from Grandma was when I put a puppy in the trash, but I was too little to actually remember it, I only remember the story. I do remember riding in the pony cart  in parades that Tuck would pull.
me and Grandma on one of our many Avon trips
Hawaii, San Diego, New Orleans, Washington DC,
Puerto Rico, Las Vega$
Grandma and my Avon trips will always hold a special spot in my heart. Me and Gma with hundreds of old people traveling around the country. We were pretty good travel companions, with one exception. She would say something like, "Well, we're going the wrong way. We should be going east." My response would always be something like, "I have no idea what direction we should be going, but we turned left so we're going the right way." We never agreed upon west or north, left or right, but we always got where we needed to go.
Grandma showed love for her family in many ways. Always, with no exception, her visit would end with a handshake. Until we meet again, Grandma...
Gma and us 3 kids, Thanksgiving 2011
Easter 2012
Easter 2011
Dad, Grandma, Janet, Judy, Joanne
Christmas 2011
Grandma at Aunt Rose's pond
my Grandma

No comments: