Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Little Purple Flowers

One afternoon I told the kids we had plans to take some bluebonnet pictures.  Zeke asked a great question:  Why are they called bluebonnets when they're purple?  I asked that same question 14 years ago when I experienced my first spring in Texas.  And for the life of me I could not figure out why the natives were so gaga over these little purple flowers.

As the years passed, I have begun to assimilate.  Six years ago I had my first flower-taking experience.  This was the time before my non-scaley children.


Every spring since the birth of my first child, I commence my scouting expedition for the best possible field I can find.  Each year I give up and settle on a scraggly little patch somewhere near my house.  I have yet to park along the highway for some pics. (For all you non-Texans, yes.  They park along the interstate and get out to take bluebonnet pics.) 


I have indeed assimilated to the crazy Lone Star obsession with those little purple flowers they call bluebonnets.  However, I am still just a transplant; to this day I am reserving the word 'fixin' to use only when something is broken.

No comments: