Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Friday, January 17, 2020

Everything is *NOT* Always Bigger In Texas

Texas likes to brag about everything being bigger, but that's not necessarily so. Not when it comes to produce in South Korea. They tend to grow most of their fruits and veggies very large here. For example, celery:
 this gourd-type thing:
these carrots: 
 and these beets:
Those are just a few pics. It's all big here. 

Costco trips are always kind of therapeutic, because it's a little taste of home. Yes, they have Costcos here, but the downside is that the closest one is a couple hours away, so when we go we totally stockpile. The Koreans think we're off our rockers when our buggies are overflowing and theirs have about 5 items. One day while we were at Costco the sample brigade paraded right past where we were standing. There were probably about 40 or 50 carts coming by, and they all followed each other on the same path. The only thing that was missing was circus music.
I have eaten some samples when I'm at stores and have even been persuaded to purchase something because of it. However, not all samples are foods that I want to eat. Especially when it comes to seafood.
Those are eels in there.
 And there is always something that you have no clue what it is.
When that happens, you win some,
 (Yes, that was indeed chicken.)
and you lose some.
(No, those were not little cuts of pork.)

Since there is not a lot of land in Korea, grocery stores are always 2 or 3 or more stories and I've seen basement parking 4 stories deep. There are escalators for your buggies.
 There are elevators, as well. Since Costco has to have everything in bulk, the elevators are no exception. The picture does not show how huge this thing is.
 Costco has the food bar here upon checkout, just like at home. However, the Koreans add onions as a side dish. Not as a condiment, but they make it a whole dish. See that white pile on this guy's plate? Onions. They all pile them on like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's nuts.
So that's a snap shot into groceries in Korea. 99% of the time I think it's an adventure and it's fun. Once I had a rough day and when I was at the store I could't find the extra items I was looking for and nothing seemed to be going right. When Abe got home that night he sensed my frustration and saw a box on the counter and innocently commented, "So, you bought tooth paste today?" and I exasperatedly cried, "I think I bought tooth paste today BUT I DON'T EVEN KNOW!
That was just one bad day; usually I think it's all an exciting adventure.

No comments: