Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

It's The Final Countdown

5th Annual Hourly NYE Envelope Countdown

This New Year's it was frigid outside and the roads were a little slick so we played it pretty low-key. DanFam5 celebrated here at home with just us. Regardless, it was a fun ending to 2017. Well, mostly. More about that later.
noon - drink upside down
Zekers was the first to jump on Daddy's pull up bar to drink.
 Daddy also did the pull up bar. Daisy chose to do a handstand.
 I drank backwards on the couch. Little Chuey did not miss the opportunity to crawl up on me.
Frito was in on the excitement, as well.
 1:00 - outside obstacle course (in the sleet at 25 degrees)
Daddy is laying down the ground rules.
 Lijee's off to the basketball goal!
 Daisy is crawling through the box.
 Zekers heading down the driveway on the scooter.
Hot chocolate was needed after we came in. You can see the boys barely had any clothes on, it was very cold out there.
2:00 - dessert 'treat'y (play on Cupcake Wars)
So the Daisers loves to watch Cupcake Wars. We decided to make a positive play on that with Dessert "Treat"ies, and walk some dessert to our neighbors. A kind and thoughtful way to start the New Year, right? These boys played a little game whilst it was cooking.
Finally ready! Each kid took a small plate of caramel brownies, still hot from the oven. We would later learn these were some darn expensive brownies...
 The boys are way far ahead. Frito and Chuey are walking with me.
 Here we are, knocking on the door.
 It was at the next house where disaster struck. It was all so fast, but when the neighbors opened the door, their German Shepherd raced out and pounced Chuey like Frito on a cat. I heard screams coming from my mouth and out of the corner of my eye I saw the father tackle their dog. The kids said I was playing tug-of-war with the big dog as it had Chuey in her jaws and I was trying to pull her away with the leash. It all happened very quickly. There was no blood. I knew she was shook up--we all were. When we got home I saw a tiny bloody spot on her hind leg that was already scabbing over. She was holding that leg real close to her, so I let it be. She was very lathargic, but that was understandable. I mean, she had just cheated death.

3:00 - FaceTime a friend
We were having a hard time getting friends to answer their phone. At least we got ahold of Gramma and Grampa, though. There was some Elvisopoloy going on during the down time, and I was snuggling Chuey.
 4:00 - scavenger hunt
 
 Daisy was the first to complete the photo scavenger hunt, but they were all pretty creative with their shots.
5:00 - order pizza
This was a treat, as we rarely get to order pizza.
6:00 - card game
Can you guess what we chose to play?
 That's right--SPOONS.
 7:00 - Brr Bounce
Last year we did a Polar Plunge. Since we didn't have a pool at our house, we settled for a Brrrr Bounce instead. They broke the thin layer of ice on the trampoline as they bounced for 20 seconds. I was quite happy to be the photographer on this one. *Momma don't do cold.
8:00 - hide-n-Zeke
We turned off the lights, got out our new head lamps, and we were good to go!
We had been loving on our ChuChu all night.
It was at this point that I moved her leg a little more and found the gash. Here it was, 8:30 pm on New Year's Eve. What the heck was I supposed to do with a little doggy and a big laceration? I was thinking it might get infected if I waited until Tuesday when the regular vet was open. We found a vet open 24/7 that happened to be close by. 
 
Here is where the evening took a sinister turn. I will add details in a later post. But the big story is that I had to leave Chuey there to get emergency surgery. Poor little puppy.

9:00 - compliment each other
I missed the reading of these. But we had some very sweet things written about each other. Sweet things like Daisy always follows her passion, Zeke is kind spirited and protective, Lijee is funny and imaginative, Daddy does things for others and is fun, Chuey is loving, Frito is adventurous, and I do what's best for others. That's just a few things we shared. This one was my favorite activity of the day.

10:00 - talent show
I was at the vet during this. I would have sang "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" with Chuey, but my phone was dead.

11:00 - screens
Somewhere during this hour was when I got home. The Pops was asleep but the kids followed the envelope directions and were on screens.

midnight -Happy New Year!
Daisy finally got to FaceTime her friend. We rang in the New Year with Lilly and Hudson May on the phone with us.
Happy New Year! May 2018 draw you closer to the Lord as you enjoy your many blessings!

No comments: