Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Is That Your Dog?

Our doggy is, for the most part, a pretty good dog.  Probably her biggest fault is that she was born to run.  I mentioned that in the post awhile back when we went to my parents.  Earlier this week she got out the front and that dog ran for 4 1/2 hours.  It's all fun and games for her.  She runs by and looks back at you, tail wagging, tongue hanging out the side, and I swear she smirks the whole time.  If the kids were ever quiet enough I'm pretty sure you could hear her saying, "Nanny nanny boo boo."

We took her for a family walk today at the lake where she could get out and run.  It was perfect in every way, from the weather down to the family time.
After almost 2 hours of Frito Pie chasing birds, splashing in the water and general running, we loaded in the Swagger Wagon.  Frito Pie, aparently, did not think it was time to go home.  She began to play her 'cat and mouse' game.  We started to pull out of the parking lot, thinking she would jump in the car so she wouldn't be left behind.

This is where we were wrong.  If any of you have ever had to chase down a mule who has gotten out (and I am thinking of one family in particular who knows what I am speaking of, Lynes) they are obnoxious little creatures to catch until they are darn well good and ready...very much like our dog.  I am transported back in time 30 years ago when it comes to trying to catch this dog.  Abe acts very much like my Dad, except he is not angry with Frito Pie and Dad was, well, let's just say 'angry' with Pete and leave it at that.

Abe decided to give her the run that she wanted, very much like Dad used to do with Pete (Abe casually said it, minus the curse words that I may or may not have heard 30 years ago).  The difference between now and 30 years ago was that Abe drove away and had the dog follow us and I was terrified she was going to be run over by passing cars, where as Dad actually chased the mule with the truck while I was terrified Pete was going to be run over by us (maybe on accident, maybe not).

We had Frito Pie chase us down as we sped down the road at 30 mph or more.  At the beginning  a bicyclist who had stopped to watch the melee told us good luck.  A mile or so later we passed a parking lot with several cars and people.  One man called out, "Is that your dog?" and we yelled out the window as we were speeding by, "Yeeeessss."  I am pretty sure it appeared that we were trying to dump our dog and the poor thing was chasing us down.  A call may or may not have been placed to the Humane Society reporting us; that is yet to be determined.

We did stop after a couple miles and Frito Pie was finally ready to get in.  I firmly believe she did not learn a lesson, much like the mules, but at least we were able to catch her for today.  History repeats itself, so will my kids one day have their dog, or mule, chase them down the road, too?

1 comment:

Life at the Crazy S said...

I love it Tricia. I laughed so hard I cried. Been there, done that, and everyone survived.