Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Monday, July 12, 2010

Get In My Belly!

We have been on a 'family diet' for 7 days now. Zeke has eczema which he scratches in spots until he breaks the skin. After some blood work, in addition to nuts (which we knew) Zekers came down w/ allergies to the following: wheat, milk, soy, corn, egg whites and sesame seeds. I don't know if you have read any labels recently, but one if not most of those ingredients is in about everything that is packaged. The doctor wants us to give up all that stuff for 2 weeks to see if his itchy eczema stops, then gradually add them back one at a time. I was ready to kill with my bare hands for something to eat other than plain meat and veg, so when Daisy and I had the afternoon to ourselves yesterday, the first thing we did was run to the DQ. Ice cream with chocolate, caramel and nuts...mmmmmm. When we found out Zeke was going to be at Granny's a little later than expected, we hauled a** to the nearest Italian restaurant. Calzone with lots and lots of cheesy goodness...mmmm. I treasured every calorie.

P.S. When I am feeling really naughty, I sneak a piece of whole wheat toast with butter when Zeke isn't looking.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Trish! Poor kid. Poor YOU! I can't imagine trying to feed the family with limited options. Praying for you to find the trigger for him. I'm sure you probably have, but have you switched to a laundry soap like ALL FREE or something?

Trish Daniels said...

Yes, that's what we use. Got a recipe to make my own once, but I don't even know what all the ingredients are, let alone where to buy them. Needless to say, I haven't done it yet.

Bad for him, the restrictions have not stopped the itching. Good for him, the restrictions have not stoppped the itching, which means he can probably go back to eating all that stuff and doesn't have to worry about a restricted diet the rest of his life.

On the bright side, the family is eating much better. Gives me something to strive for when we do introduce everything back.

Sarah said...

You've probably tried every lotion in the book, and I don't have super-serious eczema, but when mine flares up I use this cream from mary kay and it really helps. It's called extra emollient night cream and it's bascially a vasoline type substance.

Trish Daniels said...

We're up to try anything!