Every good and perfect gift is from above...James 1:17

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

911

So there we were, running errands, and I smelled a dirty nappy. Zeke and I finished our shopping and changed his nappy on the front passenger seat. Whilst I was wrapping up the mess Zeke climbed over into the driver's seat--one of his favorite play places (so much so that Daddy often uses his car as a playpen when he's working in the garage). I left the nappy on the floorboard, walked around to the driver's side to get Ezekiel, and then happened to spy a garbage can up by the store. I closed the driver door so my son wouldn't fall out, walked around to the passenger side to grab the dirty nappy, and was walking back around to grab my boy and my purse. Then I heard it.
============================================

***BEEP*** followed by the click of the door locks.

============================================

Immediate panic. My purse was in the seat because I didn't want it getting in the way when I was handling a dirty nappy. Apparently The Boy stepped on my purse and just happened to hit the lock button on the clicker. My purse, the keys, my phone and my boy were all locked in the car. There is an extra set of keys at home, but it is 90-some degrees outside, and who knows how hot in a closed car, so we didn't have time to have Abe drive from work to the house to get the keys and then to the store to save us.

===========================================
Zeke was getting little sweat drops on his nose, just laughing and smiling and driving. I immediately rushed into the store and borrowed the phone to call 911. They sent a fire truck with the lights and sirens. They worked on the locks but couldn't get them opened. They finally had to break the back little triangle window to get to the manual door lock.

===========================================

The whole time The Boy was playing and bouncing and smiling, even with all 4 firemen working and a few onlookers and me saying over and over, "Push the button. That little one on the door. No, that's not it, the other one."
===========================================


Just another day in the life of The Daniels.











































================
On the serious side, I was so relieved to hear the sirens and know that my baby wasn't going to die in a hot car. Next time you see the firemen having a fund raiser, thank them and put in some money. They're underpaid for the important work they do.

No comments: